Saturday, September 13, 2008

IT IS WHAT IS IT IS or THIS SUCKS

I was at a nightclub the other night and got info a conversation with a man in his late twenties on the terrible thing that the Hurricane was. His comment to me was, "well, it is what it is?"

I realized that it was no coincidence when later that evening I got into another conversation with a girl in her twenties about my foster child in Haiti and my difficulty trying to reach her to find out if she was ok. The answer I got? "It is what it is".

Apparently, this is the new lingo of the twenty-ish something crowd. And it really pissed me off. What is that supposed to mean- "It is what it is". Deal with it? Don't bother examining the situation don't bother making suggestions. This attitude sucks. It's the idea nothing can change, nothing can be discussed- it is what it is. Not only does the comment stick but there's an attutide I observed that goes with it. You have to shrug, one shoulder, turn your head-specifically be apathetic and rude. I wondered .... is there a song out there I havent' heared yet. "It is what it is?"

Then I started thinking. This comment wasn't just a comment it was an attitude it was an entire mentality. It goes something like this: So someone murdered your family? No biggy, it is what it is. Your child has cancer? Don't worry, it is what it is? You lost someone in 911? Big deal is it what it is? You lost your eyesight? No worries it is what it is? Hitler murdered millions of Jews? It is what it is. Children and being sold as sex slaves? It is what it is.

And what do you say to someone who has the ignorance to make such a comment? I was taken aback I didn't know what to say. A comment like that stops all dialogue shot. It ends discussion, it's a modern attempt at existential philosophy. In my opinion, for what it's worth, I'd like to officially say that this comment attitude blend sucks it really really sucks. And that my friends is really what it is.
Mrs. Obs. HER Vation....signing off

No comments: