Wednesday, May 23, 2018

Yeah! My Popular Science Came today!



My Popular Science Magazine Summer 2018 arrived today. This is the first on my list of favorites. I like it because it has a very level-headed approach to science unlike for instance Wired which touts technological propaganda. (And it was my Dad’s favorite. It reminds me of him).

I've just skimmed through but here are a couple of highlights. The White Rhino Sudan who went extinct last month can be “reincarnated” (my word) through invitro using eggs from another zoo. Problem is you’ve got a 10-foot journey to reach the Uterus which can be a life-threatening procedure. Enter Thomas Hildebrandt he's the go-to guy for artificial insemination- lots of practice in elephants. Good Luck Thomas I’m counting on you!


Coolest top Articles


1. Genetically grown meat is here to stay. You will be seeing hotdogs hit the market in the next couple of years. This means the slaughter of millions can stop the horrors of the blood lakes will dry up and good karma will reign over the land. The meat lobby has got to be pissed about that!

I know your first reaction is gross, but we said the same thing about Tequila and look how we love it now!


2. This one is serious.

Plants use Co2 to grow and when the levels of Co2 rise the plants grow faster which on the surface seems like good thing, but on the flip side plants stop gathering nutrients from soil effectively when this happens we create plant junk food. Think hydroponics. The scary part is that things like rice (a staple for most people in the world) will lose a significant percent of its nutrients meaning less iron, protein and zinc which will affect millions of mothers and children leaving them vulnerable to diarrhea, respiratory diseases and malaria.   Adding to this the extra sugar in the plants will cause diabetes to rise dramatically. Be alarmed be very alarmed. Kale in the 1950's had 23 percent more iron than the kale today. I know, who eats Kale? But the point is about growing fast food veggies!

Moving on:


They are trying to cultivate plants in space but it's not going very well, I understand Marijuana thrives! (my guess). They are hardy little buggers and Hydroponic works!

I also learned that you can recycle poop if your taking a long space journey.  Heck! Koala Bears survive on their mother’s brown stuff for the first couple of months. True. I bet you'll never look at the cute little bears the same way. Sorry for the spoiler, just thought you should know.

 Orca babies spend a life time with their mother’s, elephants infants stay for 20 years, Human's kids hang on til 18 and Harp Seals keep their pups for a few days? Now you do.

The genetically altered apple is a crazy thing and you can follow it in a graph. Popular Science is big on graphs, so you don't have to be a smarty pants to learn.

They have a huge graph  on Age and types of Death. If you are over 65 you will most likely die of a pneumonia from the life support tubes that will get infected?


 The Yoga junkies have lost their minds and are renting space in mortuaries, so they can dissect donate bodies and learn how the muscular system works.

There is an article on recycling that looks amazing.

And a bunch of cool people like Meghan Tomasita Cosgriff-Hernandez (US military)  are in the Indian Himalayas looking for DNA samples of 300 Americans who had gone missing in 1944. 600 planes crashed in the mountains by war’s end! Who knew.


We can now transplant one woman’s uterus into another. Ethically catastrophic yes, but they are doing it in Sweden. I'm not sure why a woman would do this because they can just transplant her eggs into a surrogate. What's up with that?   I don't like it one bit and I imagine all the chimpanzees in animal testing labs who had their uteruses transplanted and impregnated with horrific results.


There are bird feeders that are squirrel proof and some cool tours you can take to south Africa China, Egypt and Dubai. Can you imagine tripping with all those smart people? Ooops I mean travelling not tripping, but you could trip and travel. I do that quite often.


Apparently, we are going to space but I don't know why. Everything we need is  right here on earth, we are caretakers not travelers. I for one am staying and when I die I am going to turn into a ghost and continue to walk the earth. There is NOTHING better out there people, get with the program!. Heaven IS a place on earth.
The time will soon be here when my grandchild will long for the cry of a loon, the flash of a salmon, the whisper of spruce needles or the screech of an eagle.
But he will not make friends with any of these creatures and when his heart aches with longing he will curse me.
Have I done all I can to keep the air fresh?
Have I cared enough about the water?
Have I left the eagle to soar in freedom?
Have I done everything I could to earn my gandchilds' fondness?
(Chief Dan George/Tsleil- Waututh (July 1889-1 Sept 23 1981)





No comments: