Sunday, October 18, 2015

"Ancient Egypt Transformed.The Middle Kingdom" at the Met. What about those Ears? 10/18

WHAT ABOUT THOSE EARS?
 
The Metropolitan Museum in NYC had another amazing show called,  "Ancient Egypt transformed. The Middle Kingdom" I highly recommend that you pop for the five bucks and pick up the audio.
 
Besides the overall awesomeness, what struck me about the statues were the protruding ears of the subjects. Ears that I have never noticed on other statues from different Egyptian kingdoms.
 
I was curious. How did they do that? I asked myself.
 
So I pushed my ears forward trying for a similar position. But they got all crinkled and there was no way I could hold them like that for long without pain. To test this theory I tried pulling my husbands ears forward and his crinkled too.
The question I pondered was, " How did the Egyptians of the middle kingdom get their ears like that? 

(At the show, I even saw the head of a crocodile with human ears flattened forward. Clearly, ears were a big deal for this culture).
 
Then it occurred to me that to get the ears like that they would have had to cut the back of the ear and let it heal somehow bound in a forward position.
 
Could this be an example of early plastic surgery?
 
Either that or the people had flat ears or the artist portrayed them as such.  And this is highly unlikely because the artists of The Middle period were into realism.
Below:  MIDDLE KINGDOM EARS PUSHED FORWARD
 

Below:   Other Kingdoms Ears Pushed Back

 

No comments: