Monday, September 7, 2015

Why are There so many Male Syrian refuges in these pictures? Sept 7th 2015

Before you jump on me I am well aware that there are families in great suffering and crises who have come from a violent and war torn country and need to be embraced welcomed and integrated into a new life, country, culture and language. I pray that they get the help that they so desperately need.

However, I am commenting on two pictures of the exodus that I have seen in the New York Post, Saturday Sept. 5th and the Daily News also Saturday Sept. 5th. These pictures as you can see are of hundreds and what looks like miles of refuges walking to their country of choice which happens to be Germany.
I'm looking and I'm looking and I notice that something is really odd and maybe I am wrong, maybe this picture needs to be blow up but from my perspective, as a layman, looking at these pictures in major newspapers there does not seem to be any women in these pictures. T

There are all men, in white t-shirts, new running shoes, hats, hands on their cellphones. Didn't these men bring their female wives and their female children? Where are they? Did they leave them behind? How will they find them in these crowds? Why would a father or brother, or uncle not feel that protecting his family in a crises such as this a priority. Are these miles of marching crowds all single men? Am I seeing this correctly?

I also noticed that there is even one man carrying which looks like a pristine roll of white paper... maybe a banner. Some of the men are laughing some are waving. They looks in good spirits and in good health.

It seems to me that their needs are being met and being met thoroughly. And not that they shouldn't be. But that surprises me because I have been hearing how awful and terrible some of the way stations are. I understood that camps are places where people cannot eat, clean their clothes cook or go to the bathroom yet, in these two pictures I am seeing a different reality.

After my observation I did take the time to look more closely and counted and circled the women, who are modern women walking among the crowd of men. They are clustered together as if they know one another. And incredibly  I've identified three or four in each picture.

I know this is an Exodus that maybe feels like an invasion but whatever it is I hope people much smarter than me can figure out a way to separate the criminals, pedophiles, murderers, serial killers, rapists thieves and cons that may be walking in these crowds. 

With such great numbers, I can safely suggest that there may be men in these crowds that can potentially or purposely disrupt the safety and culture of the countries which they seek to inhabit.

On the flip side, I hope that we can welcome the others with compassion and love and teach them to also embrace the cultures that extended this gift to them. I am not sure that if I was a refugee that I would be treated the same in their country but maybe we can be an example. We just have to be careful and cautious and be attentive to the fact that there are no women or children in the massive wave of men in these pictures. I would like to know where they are? I would like to know why they are missing? Or....

Am I missing the ball here?
Thoughts?

No comments: