Thursday, November 20, 2008

How to get RID of a Bill Collector

The rope around our necks these days are credit reports, and scores. This is simply a set of numbers that label us worthy of buying stuff we can't afford. I have found that collection companies use this power to scare, intimidate and threaten us lowly consumers.
How do you get around this? Well, I have been an artist for many years so getting credit, securing credit or even wanting credit has never factored in my mindset.
The trick here is NOT to get intimated. A credit score cannot define you as a human being, so DON'T let it. I'll give you an example of a phone call I got from a collection agency the other day...it went like this.
MR .B: Ms. Hall, this is Mr. Branson with blah blah,blah.. and you owe us twelve hundred dollars, how would you like to settle that? I can take your checking account right over the phone.
ME: Well, Mr. Branson, I'm not paying for something I didn't receive.
MR. B: Ms. Hall the good news is that your credit score hasn't been affected.
ME: Really Mr. Branson, that's the best news I heard all day.
MR. B: Ms. Hall we can take your checking account over the phone.
ME: I don't have one. (NEVER GIVE YOUR CHECKING ACCOUNT OVER THE PHONE)
MR. B: Ms. Hall the good news is that your credit score hasn't been affected.
ME: Well, Mr. Branson, you better get started my credit score needs to be affected.
ME: Hello? Mr. Branson? Hello?
This is the first time a bill collector ever hung up on me. The key? Don't let them get to you with this credit report thing. Chances are the worse the economy gets the government will decide to give us all a second chance and clear our credit scores down to ZERO. Then we can all start again.
"

No comments: