Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Happy THANKSGIVING

Happy thanksgiving to all my readers and friends. I have a lot to be thankful this year and although I cooked my turkey last week I got caught up in the buzz around town and had to buy another.

The Shady Brooke Turkey's at the Morton Williams on 84th and first were on my mind and I headed there around 7:00 tonight. Unfortunately where I got there the unthinkable happened. There were no Shady Brooke Turkey's left only the really expensive ones and since I'm on a budget I wasn't about to pop for a sixty- dollar turkey.

As I wheeled my red cart up the turkey isle, I noticed that a woman was hugging a Shady Brooke in hand. She had stopped her race to the counter and was asking someone how these turkey's were.

I said nothing. I wanted that last bird and I wasn't about to blow it for myself. Shady Brooke was good... damn good I tested them last week. I watched her as she discussed the differences with a guy who had a Butterball in his cart. I tried to appear uninterested as I perused the steak my back turned but my Spock ears focused like radar to the conversation.

Finally the lady looked at the Butterball and put the Shady Brooke back in the meat department. Finally, the bird was mine. all mine. and I grabbed that twenty-five pounder and pitched it into my cart. I had landed the last Shady Brooke in the store! God was good.
By the time I checked out there were about five turkey's left. Had Manhattan gone turkey loco? Was everyone on the island cooking a bird? How could a store run out of turkeys? Yet this had come to pass.

P.S. For those of you who are last minute shoppers, it's going to be hard to find a bird tomorrow so be forewarned.

No comments: