Saturday, October 4, 2008

Weekend Overtime in Yorkville


This weekend is particularly busy in the hood. It's street fair bonanza. On 84th street between York and First Avenue ( one block from my house ) is a combination Farmer's Market and Church Fair. The Farmer's market brings in the freshest produce from local farms in the area. You can get anything from fresh garden green beans, to apple pies, and local seafood. It feels like you're at a real country fair smack dab in the middle of the city. Not only that when is the last time you've seen someone selling Tupperware? I was surprised to find out it still existed.

I also ran into a very strange man selling his used C.D. collection. He pointed out where the sale bin was and announced the sale price was $4.00. I took a look and finding it mostly classical. I stopped on a C.D. of Evita.
"Good pick!", he announced. He proceeded to tell me that it would cost $6.00 because it contained two C.D.'s. Then he picked up the C.D. and informed me that it would be $8.00 because it had a scratch on it.

I thought to myself , "a scratch? was this guy nuts? Was he really selling C.D.'s or was this a cover for something else?"
Before my writers imagination could get the better of me I cautiously put the C.D. down , very slowly, turned, and walked away.

Piggy- backing on the Farmer's Market this weekend celebrates St. Francis, the patron saint of animals, so the Hungarian Catholic church , Saint Stevens (located on the same block). has included a food court . Is is complete with homemade sauerkraut, cabbage rolls and fresh kobassa and indifferent Hungarian hospitality. They also have lots of donated second hand stuff. The kind of stuff you look at and then decide you don't really want.


By the time I got there I was crudely told there was NO FOOD. So, I proceeded next door to the hamburger and hot dog grills and boy was I glad I did. Never in my life, my whole life have I had a burger that was so amazing. Grilled, crispy on the outside Angus beef.....the BEST.
I recommend you get down there just to try a burger and tell me what you think.

No comments: